Home About Shop Featured Contact Sponsor

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Eclectic Chic Dining Room-Chairish Mix n' Chic Challenge

I am constantly dreaming about making our space pretty-practical and comfortable but still appealing to the eye. As of right now my style is an eclectic blend of traditional and vintage, with a heavy dose of toys.

Sigh....

There's really nothing I can do about that right now. Those bright blue, yellow and red plastic things just keep popping up!

So I dream....and dream...and rearrange, and scour the internet for inspiration, I thrift my way through antique markets and second hand stores and just dream. I love the way that adding in an item that has a story makes a room feel complete and real. It just gives it some depth and love, you know? Weathered wood, galvanized metal, rustic signs, crates...all the goodness of Shabby Chic!

When Chairish contacted me to take part in their Mix n' Chic challenge I knew this was the perfect chance to put my dreaming onto paper! If you've never heard of Chairish-shame on you! Chairish is an exclusive, curator approved, online marketplace for vintage and used furniture. Most styles go in and out of fashion, however; the Shabby Chic-ness of antiques and vintage items has continuously been a decor focus for the last 25 years; The spirit of the style is to work with what you have while mixing in historical elements and pieces with charm. The best part about decorating these days is that the matching look is out - the new look is all about creating a room that seamlessly blends a variety of styles., and that is my style to a tee!


Lately my thoughts have strayed to the dining room, so I knew I had to start there...


I

Shopping Sources

Some decorating tips I have for creating a space that flows and is balanced...

-Rooms always need a little dose of black. Whether its in a pillow, black and white framed photos, artwork or some furniture. Black just grounds a room and gives it an updated look.

-Always include a weathered piece. It could be something you scored out of the garbage or something that was a family heirloom. It just needs to have that beaten, distressed well loved look.

-Mix patterns. Find a good balance between super loud fabrics and tiny dainty ones, and then add in a geometric! Try to use similar colors, but not matchy matchy! It's all about pleasing the eye with a perfect balance of each!

-For my own personal style, my rooms must have a shot of pink and turquoise-I have no idea why other then it just makes me happy :)

I kept all of the above tips in mind while choosing my pieces from Chairish, and I love how it all came together! The perfect blend of shabby chic that combined traditional pieces like the harvest table and gilded mirror and Bergere chair with more rustic elements like the fireplace surround and tin. I added in some turquoise and pink elements, and voila-a very happy eclectic chic dining room!


And of course what fun would it be if I didn't create a 'dream' dining room of my own...and yep, we switiched our dining room and living room! More on that later...

Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

1 comment:

Joyce said...

Hey that looks awesome. Great ideas.